Hi Wonderful People!
A few days behind things on the New Year resolutions but I haven’t got one to be on time and it is the first week of the year I think I have ‘switched off’.
Well after an incredible 2012 which can be seen in detail here – Why your girlfriend breaking up with you is a great thing… (not as nasty as the title suggests) I am all set for a big year of active advocacy, education, campaigning and global citizenship working towards the end of polio and extreme poverty in 2013.
This year will see me in Melbourne 10-16 Jan → Aotearoa New Zealand till 4 Apr → Adelaide/Australia till June, and → somewhere till December on the Stop the Transmission Of Polio program with Centre of Disease Control, WHO and UNICEF in probably Nigeria, Afghanistan or Pakistan but won’t know till May.
Also I will be building a house and having a baby in 2013…
- The baby – I am a donor for a friend of mine and she is due to give birth to ‘Champion’ on 14 April. I will be there for the birth and then hope to play a positive male role model if that is what will be best for mother and child and excited at the prospects of playing an uncle type role with another human in the world!
- The house – a 10m2 place called Happy, simply. – a lifestyle model and education project. To be constructed in Feb in or around Wellington, NZ – see attached poster and website here – http://happysimply.wordpress.com/
And so onto the RESOLUTIONS…
The resolutions for 2013…
- 29th of the month will continue to be sunrise morning, no matter where
- My eyes will be in the skies for another monkey shaped cloud to try and better the one from this year (see attached)
- Sugar-free for the first 6 months of 2013 (fruit ok) but broke this at 12.10am Jan 1 when I had a tequila Margarita with a tablespoon of sugar in it! Every time I eat sugar it will be an extra week at the end
- Learn the countries starting with G (11 of them)
- Garden as much as possible – see how much I can sustain my stomach with my hands
- Take time to smell the roses and smell roses, thanking those who grow them!
- Brush my teeth with both left and right hands and encourage myself to be more ambidextrous
- 1st to 3rd of the month colour in a colouring in picture – I think we need to make time to colour in!
- 15th of the month I will be making biscuits (sugar free first 6 months!)
- Always the hope of a 5km swim, 500km bike ride and/or 50km run throughout the year…
- Appreciate the colour orange and put it in the favourite when and where possible!
The results of my resolutions from 2012…
|See a cloud in the shape of a monkey||Yep with a bonus unicorn horn – see photo attached|
|Never eat more than two serves of sugar in one day (fruit excluded) and sugar-free Mondays of course! Yes does mean I can eat a chocolate bar and ice-cream a day but harder than you think…||Massive fail, couldn’t curb that sweet tooth so cold turkey of no sugar for 6 mths|
|Learn all the countries starting with D and E||Yep was a good one!|
|Do 100 consecutive skips without stuff up or break||In Jan & easier than I thought|
|Make custard on the 15th of each month||Yep loved it and did it often|
|Watch the sunrise on the 29th of each month – now 4 years doing it||Of course – still a great thing|
|Select my favourite vegetable of the year at the end of the year||Potato – got me through 5 weeks of Live Below the Line|
|Must find and meet someone from Armenia or go there!||Sort of met an Arminian|
|Appreciate the colour yellow when possible||Love this and love yellow – such a happy colour|
|Look through the eyes of simplicity, happiness and fulfilment and live with so much integrity, grace and conviction to new levels in 2012…||Believe I did and even keener for 2013!|
Highlights of 2012:
- Living out my childhood dreams of cricket and social justice and stepped up to the polio eradication campaign and advocacy
- Feb / Mar – Aotearoa New Zealand – this is where I want to be as often as possible…
- Being the Wedding Celebrant for two wonderful friends held in Maui, Hawaii
- Doing a 1000mile journey in the US and Canada while eating on less than $1.50/day – see blog here and thanks to so many who made it so wonderful http://lunnyLBTL.wordpress.com
- Starting, growing and executing on the Global Poverty Project’s The End of Polio campaign in Canada for 6 months – http://www.theendofpolio.com/home/2012/06/the-presentation-and-engagement-with-polio/ one of many highlights was a dinner in Montreal with 125 people raising $18,000
- The United Nations General Assembly polio meeting in New York – incredible to be a representative of the Canadian public and for our message to be heard
- The Global Citizen Festival with 50,000 others in Central Park, NY was incredible – link
- Wonderful travels through Germany, Italy, Qatar and onto incredible experiences and learning in Pakistan and India for my first time – also lots of blogs from that time
- Being back with my whole family in Adelaide for Christmas
I have to say I am unbelievably blessed to be allowed to do what I want and I have to pinch myself everyday as it is all just a perfect dream and I hate sleeping as it is wasting my time of living!
We all have ups and downs but again I have been privileged to see the best of the world and people and I think life is a very remarkable and absolutely sensational thing.
All the very best to all!