New Year’s Resolutions and Message – 2018
Hi People of purpose for planet and global society!
A happy Christmas and a very merry New Year from Adelaide, Australia where I will be till the end of March (the longest time in 17 years since I left after university!) 😉
2017 was a mixed bag of all the best things in life and a few simple but persistent challenges (formalised education in a Japanese university being that elephant in the room).
Serafina and I go from strength to strength learning more, sharing, growing and content in the continuous energy and effort to make a relationship be a nourishing and beautiful thing (hopefully less from different corners of the world in the coming year).
I love touching base with all of you to share some thoughts from last year, looking towards next year and filled with stupid, specific and exciting new year constitutions for 2018!
But the biggest point is as always to say a huge thank you to all as I continue to live on the hospitality, generosity and kindness of others and the world…
The world continues to be a wonderful place and I feel very lucky to interact with it in the way I’m allowed to do so each set of 365 🙂
Some dot point to sum up 2017…
- 6 months in Japan completing the course work for my Master’s in Peace Studies – it was mostly uninspiring, lacking context and relevance and now up to me to turn it into some thing practical and impacting in the world
- However, I was given the opportunity to go on a 5-month experiential learning / research trip to interact with peace-makers and communities dedicated to peace and that was an absolutely thrilling and a high quality learning experience that will stay with me forever… The trip included research in North America and Western Europe, some peace conferences, an internship with Search for Common Ground in Liberia, West Africa including being an election observer and some wonderful engagement with the International Community School in Amman, Jordan supporting Polio Points and testing a new model for Teaspoons of Change
- I was also fortunate to give 167 Teaspoons of Change presentations and workshops to 12,383 people in the calendar year across Asia, North America, Africa and Europe
See below for my scorecard of 2017 New Year Evolutions and some weird and wonderful New Year Constitutions for 2018!
2018 is a very exciting year ahead as Serafina and I drive Teaspoons of Change to become an organisation that will align business, education and personal development with the Global Goals practically and personally through Teaspoons of Change! http://teaspoonsofchange.org I also better finish off my masters in Japan and may squeeze in a 1000km walk somewhere and possibly a marathon for my 40th B’day in May…?
Big hugs and best well wishes to you all for a healthy, happy, purposeful 2018!
Many Thanks, d’Arcy.
New Year’s Constitutions – 2018 and review of 2017!
- Try to catch at least 10 leaves falling off a tree throughout the year
- Give people low-5’s instead of hi-5’s – keep it old skool Bronx 80’s style
- My favourite colour for 2018 will be black! Not a favourite but will learn to like it
- A sheep-shaped cloud – carried on from 2017 as no luck so far!
- Try and do 2-min meditations with Noa on Sunday mornings
- Try to live with the least amount of hate, ever? (most amount of love…!)
- Memorise all the countries starting with T (12 – including Tibet)
- 10 push ups a day, see if I can find a chin-up spot for a few times a week!
- Continue to not buy a single bottle of plastic bottled water – 6th year in a row
- Meet someone from Turkmenistan
- Write postcards to family and friend’s kids for birthdays!!!
- Buy Nothing New Month once again in October
Kick off Teaspoons of Change as an org and set it up as a beautiful bonsai business!
The resolution results from 2017…
|Go outside within 15 minutes of waking up each morning||Mostly but tough in winter but enjoyed it!|
|Find a sheep-shaped cloud||Nup, continued!|
|Appreciate my shadow more and those of others||Not much, didn’t really get into it but Serafina does|
|10 push ups a day (I continue to like this, not that results show!)||Loving my push-up bars!|
|Friday Funday dance off with Serafina and Noa||A few times, difficult being in different time zones|
|Continue to not buy a single bottle of plastic bottled water||All good 5th year in a row!|
|Listen to at least one song every two days||Mostly, loved new music!|
|Memorise all the countries starting with Q (1), R (3) and S (22)||S was a killer but got most|
|My favourite colour for 2017 – dirty gold!||Not the best but good experience to appreciate it|
|Meet someone from Niger – carried over from 2016||Done! Lovely bloke|
|Write postcards to family and friend’s kids for birthdays||Loved it and will do again this year!|
|Buy Nothing New Month once again in October||Forgot and did in November – love it!|
I also run a WhatsApp group called living geography with pics from around the world as I travel so send me a request if you are keen to join: +61 428 416 765
2018 by possible date and place *note all written in pencil and subject to (frequent) change:
|Jan – Mar||Adelaide, Australia||Writing final thesis for Masters and setting up Teaspoons of Change|
|Apr / May||Tokyo, Japan||Graduating for Master’s in Peace Studies|
|29 May||Japan||Marathon for my 40th B’day|
|June||???||See where Teaspoons of Change & legs are at|
|Jul – Dec||???||Dedicated to Teaspoons of Change somewhere with Serafina and building a movement!!!|
See where the crystal ball really sends me!!!