New Year’s Resolutions & Message – 2020
Greetings People, Planet and Porcupines!
A Happy Christmas and Merry New Year / Decade from Aotearoa New Zealand once again (before heading to China to kickstart 2020 with more global citizenship, sustainability and positive change)!
2019 was a grand buzz with the most presentations and engagements I’ve ever had in a calendar year – 277 to 23,346 people in the Middle East, Asia and Australia. It is also now 10 years of working in global citizenship education which has grown to 1260 engagements to 116,334 people. I bring this up because in 2001 when I decided I would try to make a difference to injustice in the world this is exactly what I had imagined – or something like it. I love having a purpose and waking up on Mondays and that is a mixture of privilege and passion. I always wondered what my line would be for “I thought I was only going to do this for a year and it’s now been 20 years!”
Personally, it’s been another year of wonderful growth along with the worthy challenges of sharing life with someone. It is beautiful to be connected with another human and quality experiences journeying with someone – thank you Serafina for us to remain intimately connected in person and across space and time (me being in other countries most of the time).
For 19 years now, I have had to say year on year: THANK YOU to the world for the continued hospitality and generosity that I receive. I love humanity but it comes down to people being willing to share their lot with me. So again, THANK YOU WORLD!
Some dot point to sum up 2019…
- 6 months working with JUMP! Foundation and the incredible people who work there and lead by a good friend and inspirationalist, Justin Bedard.
- I spent a whole winter in Australia and dabbled with SDG engagement in business through the Future Business Council and others. Lots of learning and great chats with wonderful people doing wonderful things like SEVENTEENx, WunderTraining & BCSDA (Business Council for Sustainable Development Australia)
- Since September I’ve visited 8 of the 12 Dulwich International Colleges in China and SE Asia. I feel very lucky & joyous to be spending 1-2 weeks in each of their schools to share Teaspoons of Change and enhance global citizenship and sustainability
See below for my scorecard of 2019 New Year Inclusions and some weird and wonderful conclusions for 2020! 😊
2020 is looking promising once again for global citizenship engagement and adding as many Teaspoons of Change I can to this wonderful planet and the people on it… Specifically I’m looking forward to:
- I’m planning a mostly walking journey in summer in Europe this year. I’ve been stuck in the 90’s for the number of countries I’ve been to (93) for a while now so this year I do aim to reach 100 countries and do around 1000km of walking from Bucharest to Budapest to Bratislava and a few side trips
- The development of a Global Citizenship Collective with other global citizenship educators
- August onwards I have no idea what I am doing but love not knowing and see what jigsaw will appear from here!
Big hugs and best well wishes to you all for a healthy, happy, purposeful 2020 & decade ahead – I hope to see you in the next 3653 days!
Many hugs, loads of peace and good vibes to us all!
New Year’s Conclusions 2020 and review of 2019!
- At 4pm each day pause for at least three DEEP breathes and appreciate the humility and importance of oxygen and our bodies to utilise it – I’m getting way better at meditation these days thanks to Insight Time (& Serafina) 😊
- Never been big on flossing so I will make sure I floss on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week, at least!
- Try to catch at least 15 DIFFERENT leaves falling from trees throughout the year – loved this one so much in 2019
- Only ONE serving of ice cream a month – as I get closer to ending my diary connection!
- Find a bird-shaped cloud – I’ll be looking into the sky a lot this year!
- Make a donation for myself and Noa to good people and organisations on the 29th of each month – you can do it too! I’m set to give my biggest donations ever this year – exciting!!!
- Memorise all the countries starting with W (2 – Wales and Western Sahara [not UN states but good enough]) and Y (1 – Yemen) and Z (2 – Zambia and Zimbabwe)
- At least 20 chin ups per week – I like trying to find something above my head to hold my weight everywhere I go
- My favourite colour for 2020 will again be lime! I forgot about it most of the year in 2019
- Continue to not buy a single bottle of plastic bottled water – 8th year in a row
- Meet someone from Angola!
- Buy Nothing New Month once again in October
- Leave voice messages for my friend’s children’s birthdays – I was getting slack with postcards!
Think and act on as many Teaspoons of Change as I can each day!!!
The resolution results from 2019…
|Try to catch at least 10 different leaves falling off different trees||Actually got 14 in the end|
|Find an Australian-shaped cloud||Nup too hard, bad choice 😉|
|One serving of ice cream a month||Not bad but Xmas fail|
|Continue to not buy a single bottle of drink in a plastic bottled||All good 7th year in a row!|
|Learnt to count to 10 in Arabic||Nup, didn’t look at this once ;(|
|Make a donation on 29th of each month with Noa||Loved it and so did Noa!|
|Memorise all the countries starting with U & V||Nup, didn’t list them & learn|
|20 chin-ups per week||Yep, doesn’t show but love it|
|My favourite colour for 2019 – lime!||Forgot it and revisit in 2020|
|Meet someone from Turkmenistan||Sort of, a teacher of 6 years there|
|Leave voice messages for friends kids for birthdays||Love doing this ☺|
|Buy Nothing New Month once again in October||Completely failed must do better!|
If you want to keep up with my movements throughout the year follow this doc. I also have an Instagram account called darcy_living_geo if you want to keep up visually with my movements around the globe…
2019 by possible date and place *note all written in pencil and subject to (frequent) change:
|Tue 7 Jan – Fri 14 Feb||China & SE Asia||Dulwich College – Shanghai, Yangon, Pudong|
|Sat 15 Feb – Wed 11 Mar||Australia||Teaspoons of Change|
|Thur 12 Mar – Fri 24 Apr||China & SE Asia||EARCOS Bangkok, Dulwich Colleges – Beijing, Xi’an, Suzhou|
|Sat 25 Apr – Sat 23 May||Australia||Teaspoons of Change|
|Sun 24 May – Fri 12 Jun||China & SE Asia||DC – Seoul; DCI – Singapore / Shanghai|
|Sat 13 Jun…||Anywhere||Anything|
See where the crystal ball really sends me!!!